- Social comparison theory as applied to MOOC student writing: constructs for opinion and ability
Heeryung Choi, Nia Dowell, Christopher Brooks. ICLS 2018
- Social work in the classroom? A tool to evaluate topical relevance in student writing
Heeryung Choi, Zijian Wang, Christopher Brooks, Kevyn Collins-Thompson, Beth Glover Reed, Dale Fitch. EDM 2017
- What does student writing tell us about their thinking on social justice?
Heeryung Choi, Christopher Brooks, Kevyn Collins-Thompson. LAK 2017
- TalkingCane: Designing Interactive White Cane for Visually Impaired People's Bus Usage
Je Seok Lee, Heeryung Choi, Joonhwan Lee. MobileHCI 2015.
- Evaluating System-Generated Kinetic Typography Effects for Sentence-Level Text Layout
Joonhwan Lee, Donghwan Kim, Inho Won, Jieun Wee, Yaena Jang, Sooyeon Jang, Heeryung Choi. The Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers 2014
- Translated abstract: Kinetic typography(KT) enables users to better convey emotions in text-based communication. In this research, we propose a sentence-level KT system that generates and assigns effects to the text input. We believe that our system improves the utilization of KT for broader applications. The system consists of 5 steps, and we focused on creating an algorithm for automated processing and layout of text, as in a sentence.
- Sentence-level Kinetic Typography Generating System
Joonhwan Lee, Donghwan Kim, Inho Won, Jieun Wee, Yaena Jang, Sooyeon Jang, Heeryung Choi. HCI Korea 2015
- Translated abstract: Kinetic typography effectively allows texts, which lack non-verbal evidence, to show emotion through movement when used in communication. Previous researches focused on word-for-word modules, whereas this study focuses on the capability and usefulness of sentences. Specifically, for the study an automated algorithm was created where sentences are given animated effects with an appropriate layout. Tests were taken using samples created with the prototype. Results confirmed that sentence based kinetic typography is appropriate in conveying emotion.
- The Architecture of Automatic Kinetic Typography Effects Generating System
Joonhwan Lee, Donghwan Kim, Inho Won, Jieun Wee, Yaena Jang, Sooyeon Jang, Heeryung Choi. Korea Multimedia Society 2014
- Translated abstract: Kinetic typography can be used to reveal emotion successfully in a mediated communication environment. Previous kinetic typography research limits animated effects to word-for-word modules. To support various text-based communication there is a need for a sentence based system. Therefore, this study suggests a new algorithm and system where an animated effect for kinetic typography is created for sentences.